The Stutz Logo

The Stutz Building History

Harry Stutz, founder of the Stutz Motorcar Company, built and headquartered his car company at the present day Stutz I and II from 1911 to 1919. Stutz is remembered for many things, including the Bearcat which raced in the first Indianapolis 500 and was built at his factory.

Today, Stutz's building is owned and managed by Indianapolis commercial developer Turner Woodard, who refurbished the turn-of-the-century factory complex into a bustling business center for small- and mid-sized businesses.

Through Woodard's vision and his team's hard work, Harry Stutz's, entrepreneurial spirit continues to this day.

Stutz 1

May 30, 1911

Gil Anderson drives Stutz's Bearcat in the first-ever Indianapolis 500. He places 11th thus "The Car That Made Good In a Day."

June 1911

The Ideal Motor Parts Company is founded where the legendary Bearcat is designed. This three-story factory at 217 W. 10th is now part of the Stutz complex.

History of the Stutz

1912

Stutz breaks ground across the street on a new, modern plant at 212 W. 10th Street that will produce as many as 500 Stutz per year. These two facilities are the present day Stutz I and II. Stutz Bearcats and Blackhawks are recognized as one of the finest sports and racing cars of their day. The Stutz sedans are acknowledged as one of the safest cars, due to Harry Stutz's innovative under slung suspension and transmission designs.

1916

A group of investors joins participation in the Stutz Company. The company is reorganized and becomes The Stutz Motorcar Company of America.

History of the Stutz

1919

Stutz and the original investors sell their remaining shares to Charles Schwab of Bethlehem, retiring millionaires.

1928

Frank Lockhart and the Stutz team attempt to set a new land speed record with a Stutz Blackhawk. They travel 202 MPH on the beach at Daytona, only to fail when the right front tire blows on the return run and crashes into the ocean. Frank Lockhart is killed and the Stutz team never races again!

1929

The stock market crashes.

History of the Stutz

1935

The company, like many, hand-built automobiles during this era, was severely hurt by the economic depression in the 1930's. The Stutz Factory shutters its doors. For more historical information visit www.stutzclub.org.

1940

Eli Lilly and Company purchased the factory and establishes its "Creative Packaging" division at the building until 1982. The facility stood vacant for a decade and its existence began to be questioned.

September 1993

Turner Woodard, an Indianapolis resident and adaptive reuse developer, purchases the building with the vision to restore but not alter the factory. He envisions a business center for small- and mid-sized companies where they can flourish in a truly unique entrepreneurial atmosphere.

2004

The Innovative Spirit of Harry Stutz lives again thanks to Turner Woodard, his management team and tenants! The 400,000 square foot Stutz building is home to more than 150 tenants. The former automobile factory occupies an entire city block with seven buildings, five freight elevators, and 11 loading docks!

 

Artists, architects, attorneys, graphic design firms, advertising firms, internet firms, engineering firms, and other small business owners enjoy flexible space and lease terms that fit their budget.

The Stutz Car

Since the 1970s,Turner Woodard has methodically assembled his car collection that features desirable collectable cars along with some that he just loves to drive. Woodard keeps a list of potential cars for the collection down to the make, model, year, color and desired purchase price. His current wish list includes: any Stutz make or model, 1963-67 Corvettes sports cars, 1940s Lincoln or Cadillac vehicles, 1950s Jaguar XKs 120, 140 or 150 automobiles.

Several of the vintage vehicles are housed at The Stutz Business Center in downtown Indianapolis, which he owns and his company manages.As owner of the historic facility, the collection has taken on increasing importance.The Stutz and Stutz II are the original home of the Stutz motorcars. Today Woodard's collection includes a full representation of the Stutz line of motorcars.

Stutz Club

Stutz 1